Wednesday 10 May 2017

Lock It In



A month ago, I ordered a plastic lock and a lockpicking kit. I mentioned it to some of my co-workers, and I found out that all of them have picked locks in the past. In fact, there's one guy who has a plastic lock at his desk, and he passed it around and everyone was able to pop it open really quickly.

I brought my lock into the office, and Nev picked it in under a minute. Granted, it is a see-through lock, so he was able to see the tumblers, but it took me about 15 minutes to pick it myself.

I knew that security enthusiasts were into lockpicking, but I had no idea it was a general geek thing.

I'm already hooked, and I feel like I want to replace my cheapo $13 lockpicking set that I picked up with some proper tools. I want to buy more locks! I'm kinda worried about being arrested for having lockpicks, but I think it'd be something cool to do while I am thinking over a problem at work. At one of the OWASP meet-ups, they had a heap of locks, and watching other people open them was amazing. I actually stupidly handcuffed myself thinking it'd be really easy to open as someone showed me how it was done, but once I had the handcuff on and wasn't able to open it right away, I started panicking. I think that made it harder for me to pick the lock (and it isn't really even picking a lock, as all you're doing is flicking the part of the handcuff that holds it in place, so it's more like sliding a credit card through a door to jimmy the lock open).

I just feel so excited that I have a hobby to share with my co-workers. I blossoming hobby, and one that sounds quite seedy, but I think it's pretty cool.

No comments: