Tuesday 4 April 2017

12 Week Body Transformation Fitness Challenge (Not Reddit)


GP said that he'd do the Reddit 12 week body transformation fitness challenge if I would. The challenge involves taking a picture of yourself in your underwear, front, side and back. Then doing the same thing after 12 weeks and seeing how far you've come. If you did it on reddit, you can win a prize, but that's not really something I care about, so I suggested to GP that we just do it here. (You are allowed to hide any identifying features if posting on reddit, but to save you all from the eyegore, I decided to do sihouettes instead. It should be enough for me to see if I've made progress.)

So here are his pics:




I've read some of the posts on the subreddit, and a lot of people discussed how and why they were doing the challenge.

How: Well, fortunately, it lines up with the Premiere's Active April, which is a government initiative to help combat obesity. There are a heap of free events on in Victoria, and I'm going to try a bunch of stuff out to see what I enjoy. There's golf and fencing which I tried at the Arnold Classic, someone at work suggested rock climbing, which seems like a great way to build muscle and work on my core strength. Another government initiative on at the moment is Girls Make Your Move, which lists a heap of different activities that you can do. I found out there are a heap of parkour groups around Melbourne, so I want to try one of those out.

I still have my goal to hit 10kms, and inspired by One Punch Man, I originally wanted to try and get to 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups and 100 squats (though just one day, not every day), but Lucy and MrFodder say sit-ups are quite bad for you, so I've been talked down to: 10kms, 25 push-ups, 25 squats, 5 minute plank.

As for food, I really enjoy eating out with people, as I get to learn interesting things, but if I'm going to make a significant change in 12 weeks, I'm going to have to get back on the healthy food train.


I'm not quite sure how I'm going to hit my $400 per month goal now, but this is more important to me. I guess I can save up all the money I don't spend over the next few months and do something big. Or I might end up spending a lot more money trying out different activities - horse riding seems cool, though it doesn't seem to be much exercise, and it's pretty expensive.

Why: I'm still not sure yet, but I plan to nail that down on Sunday's run. MrFodder says he's happy with the way that I look now. I'm still not, but I was talking about it with Special K today, and I think part of the problem is that when I look at myself, I still see that fat person from years ago looking back. Even when people tell me that I've lost a lot of weight since then, I can't see it. Part of the problem is that I've never really cared what people look like, so I've never looked closely. To be honest, if it weren't for clothes, body posture and voice, I probably wouldn't recognise a heap of my friends. I definitely couldn't picture most of them in my mind. Funnily, two days ago, despite seeing me briefly as his train went by at the station, one of my co-workers was able to recognise me from behind. I don't think I'd have recognised him.

One thing that is important to me is the fitness aspect of it. I want to be able to run comfortably. I like being strong enough to lift myself over things, and Katarno said that's one of the things on the police entrance exam.

To be honest, and at the moment, this is a pretty weak reason, I'm mostly doing it to support Special K. I know that this stuff is a lot easier when you have someone in your corner, but it's also hard to listen to someone cheering from the sidelines when you feel like you are doing all the work and they are doing nothing. I know she feels jealous when other people are eating burgers and things like that in the office, and it's hard to stay strong when you're the only one picking away at rabbit food.

I do need to come up with my own reason for wanting to do this. It's a work-in-progress.

Stats for Week 1, Day 1:

Weight: 58.4
Waist: 74.5
Hips: 88
Bust: 89.5
Left thigh: 52.5
Left calf: 35.5
Right thigh: 53.5
Right calf: 36.5
Left bicep: 31
Right bicep: 30

Current goals:
Get to 53kg.
In one day: run 10kms, do 25 push-ups, 25 squats, hold a plank for 5 minutes.
(optional) Buy a One Punch Man beanie.

No comments: